My pal Sunny told me to come climbing in Badami India. At the time I had no clue where Badami even was, just knew the nearest airport was BLR and it was south and it would be WARM while all you Minnesooooootans are freezing your asses off HAHAHAHHAH!!!!
Anyways Badami is something out of an Indian Jones movie. Badami is the site of some important archeological dig and spiritual temples and so it’s a destination for people that dig up old stuff. Lots of foreigners here, but definitely not a tourist trap. People are a lot friendlier here than big cities not air pollution and friggin 12 MegBit Internet access. This just kicks ass. I finally getting use to the aggressive nature of the India people and now I’ve made a lot of friends with the vendors and the local kids. They are pretty cute when they aren’t stealing your crap or training their killer dogs on you. But HEY, its part of the culture and that’s what I’m here for.
SOOOOO. Sunny says there have been some access problems but I should come anyways. Turns out some of the French people were climbing too close to the temples so the guard comes over. The guard tells climber to come down. Climber can’t. So guard starts pulling his rope trying to kill the climber. Climbers freak and siege the guard pulling him off the rope. Guard starts screaming. Next thing you know the whole slum village shows up with sticks ready to kick some French ass, seriously kick ass. So cops show up and arrest the Frenchies. Then they arrest all climbers just strolling through the streets, not even in the area. Basically saved their lives.
Thus access problems is what I walked into my first day here. But seriously people have been really cool and I have got no attitude whatsoever. Aside from the multiple source feces, I’m just started getting use to being here.
So climbing is what I come for. Badami is just like Red Rocks pullout #2. I am here with a bunch of French people doing the development. Amongst them are 2005 world champ Alex Cherbot and 2008 #7 female champ Chloe Graftiaux. Its weird hanging with some of the best professional climbers in the world, but as it turns out they are just regular beer drinking Frenchies that move their hands a lot as they talk that French talk.
There are only about 75 routes and the place is still being developed. Tons of potential and the rock is awesome with lots of chicken heads, cracks, some trade. Most only one pitch. The French are putting in lots of new routes but the problem is that locals are stealing the hardware so its an uphill battle. I’m not sure why they are stealing the gear. I can’t really say this will be a world destination for a while. It needs about 1000 routes before I’d recommend it. Although it is very warm, cheap and the locals on the whole are a lot nicer than New Delhi. Just don’t climb near the temples, are they will kill you with sticks.
Alex Charbot, 2005 world champ and french stud boy. Great guy, love him. Working on 5.14c he put up.

Only phone booth in town that is quiet enough to make calls. People serve you coffe aftwards. About $10 for 40 minutes. These are some of the French people. Pigs at your feet here too.

This was actually from Bangalore at my "deluxe" hotel. Inside and outside was about the same.

Damn monkeys stealing Sunny's shirt. Kick his ass!

Painted Rock. These india guys climb up this with no rope like nothing. Really strong. Can you say HIGHBALL! One fell and broke his ankle even though he hit the pad. Damn.

No comments:
Post a Comment